Who Are We?
The Haven of Rest Women’s ministry is a discipleship program for women. We help women who feel broken, entrapped, and hopeless by teaching them how to live life in a new, healthy, productive way…from a Christ-centered perspective.
The women who come to our program come through different avenues:
- The court system / Probation Officers
- Department of Social Services
- Pastors / Churches
- Family Members
These women often are struggling with drugs, alcohol, or some other addictive, destructive cycle in their lives.
The basic premise of the program follows the instruction given in Titus 2:3-5 for the older women to teach the younger women how to live a Christ-centered life. The Women’s Ministry staff, teachers, and volunteers are mature Christian women who come alongside these hurting women to help them find The Way…
- To a new way of thinking
- To a new way of doing
- To a new way of being
- The Way to a new life!
CLICK HERE: Haven Women’s Ministry Application
How Can We Help?
We breathe new life into women by sharing the message of Jesus Christ and teaching them how to live a godly life.
Our method follows the acronym:
C. P. R. = cognitive restructuring * pursuing peace * rewriting life scripts
C – We utilize a cognitive-behavior model in working with women. The goal is to correct irrational thinking in order to correct wrong behavior. The Bible supports the fact that people behave according to the truths they believe (Prov. 23:7).
P – We focus on emotional health by pursuing peace with our God, self, and others.
R – We work alongside a woman to help her rewrite her life scripts. This includes goal setting; helping her to get a GED or pursue secondary education opportunities; as well as working closely with DSS case workers and the court system on her behalf.
The Women’s Ministry Program has a Three-Phased Design:
The Haven of Rest Women’s Ministry program is conducted in a nurturing home environment and consists of two phases. The phases are designed to help a woman grow in Christ and to develop a healthy self-esteem; strength of character; and positive coping skills. The phases last approximately 6 months each.
PHASE 1 –
Discipleship — The foundation of our program is Jesus Christ. Therefore, women are taught about the GOD of the Bible; Who He says He is and who He says they can be in Him.
Discipleship is a continuing theme throughout all phases of the program. In this portion of the program, we continue to focus on core issues and explore how to break free from addictive patterns. Common challenges women face are addressed in this segment, such as: body image, insecurity, and codependency.
Classes & Counseling — Focus on identifying irrational thoughts; managing emotions; and behavioral responses.
Exercise & Chores — Are a part of the daily schedule and promote healthy living.
PHASE 2 –
In Phase 2, clients prepare for life outside of our walls. Staff members work closely with DSS and serve as court advocates. Curriculum includes budgeting, career, parenting and relationship management courses. Clients develop new life scripts including educational and occupational plans. We partner with our clients to help place resources in their paths to achieve their goals.
Here, women learn to appropriate the new life skills they have acquired. Each resident is required to find a church home and a mentor from that church, maintain gainful employment; and each will be taught how to prioritize and become financially responsible…all while being tethered to a support network.
*Once a client has completed the year program, she may be eligible to enter our transition housing in order to continue pursuing her new way of life.
HOPE FOR FAMILY
The Haven of Rest is for family. The Women’s Ministry has partnered with Calvary Children’s Home to offer help to women who have children in their custody requiring guardianship and care while they enter into a residential program. Women who enroll in the Women’s Ministry program may have the opportunity to entrust their children (ages 0 – 21 yrs old) to the care of Calvary Children’s Home (special conditions and restrictions do apply; option for placement is dependent upon space availability). The children will be loved and cared for, schooled, and taught about Jesus while “mom” is being loved, cared for, discipled, and taught about Jesus.
What to Bring:
- Clothes for 5 – 7 days (storage space is limited to one chest of drawers)
- Personal toiletries (makeup, hairspray, curling iron, soap, shampoo, toothbrush/paste, deodorant)
- A few framed photos for top of dresser (no hanging items on the walls)
- Envelopes / Stationary / Stamps
- Phone card (if out-of-state)
- Any approved medications (including multivitamin)
- $100 materials fee
What NOT to Bring:
- Electronic devices (cd player, dvd player, tv, radio, iPod, camera, cell phone, laptop, iPad, etc)
- ANY medications that have not been approved prior to admission (including over-the-counter medications)
- Pictures to hang on walls
- Books (that are not Christian-authored)
- Movies, CDs
- Letters from boyfriends / pictures of boyfriends
- Expensive jewelry
- Excessive spending money
- EBT card
Linens and laundry detergent are provided. If you have a skin allergy which requires
special detergents, please bring your own detergent. If you do not have a Bible or journal,
these will be provided for you.
Please feel free to call the Haven of Rest Women’s Ministry office if you have any
questions or concerns: 864.226.0009.
- Be at least 18 years old
- Must be drug or alcohol free for a minimum of 72 hours
- Complete application Haven Women’s Ministry Application and fax to 864.231.9874
- After submitting application, call 864.226.0009 to schedule an interview (interviews may be conducted over the phone or in person)
- Submit a criminal background report indicating no outstanding warrants
- Submit results of Pregnancy and TB tests (these 2 tests must be negative)
- Submit results for HIV and Hepatitis C tests
- Have a deep desire for genuine change
- There is a $100 requested gift for materials
Once the application is filled out completely, fax it into the Women’s Ministry office at 864.231.9874. Next, you will need to call the office at 864.226.0009 to make sure the application has been received and to conduct a phone interview with the House Manager. Additionally, we do require the following from each interested individual:
- Criminal background check
- HIV Test
- TB Test
- Hepatitis C Test
- Pregnancy Test
Once all of your documentation has been submitted; a personal interview conducted; and the application has been approved, we will extend an invitation into the program based on space availability.
- Paper products (toilet paper, paper towels, napkins, Kleenex, paper plates)
- Coffee, tea, sugar, creamer, canned goods
- Laundry detergent, automatic dishwasher detergent
- Gift cards from grocery stores (for perishable items such as dairy products, meats, fresh fruits or vegetables), Walmart, Target, or LifeWay for various needs that arise.
- Become a monthly financial partner to the Haven Women’s Ministry (The cost of the program is free to clients, but it is very costly to operate) havenofrest.cc/donate
For more information on the Women’s Ministry program, call 864.226.0009.